Thursday, April 16, 2020

Sewing Pt. I

   You'all are going to laugh at me.
   So the story goes like this.
   Yes, there's a story,
   So before Corona went down, me and my madré  went thrift store shopping. All fun and games, right? And at one of them, there was a box of sewing patterns. Lots of them were old and had dates on them from like 1993 and stuff like that. Super cool! So I picked out this beautiful Simplicity® pattern that said multi-size and everything. I wanted to do #2, the one day in dark gray.


    Then yesterday I went to Walmart w/ my madré to get some things and hit the fabric while I was there. I didn't think about the fact that everybody's making masks and older ladies are stuck home so a lot of sewing is going on and craft stores aren't open really. So there wasn't many choices. Of the things that were there that I liked, there wasn't enough of the fabric. But there ended up being just over 2 yrds. of this red fabric w/ white polka dots.


So here's kind of what I was imagining in my head:

(Not exactly, obviously, it's not the same type of dress and no belt unless I wanted to make one, but my point being)

   So this morning I was like, I'm going to lay out the pattern and start figuring out my size and all that jazz.



   So I'm sitting there, pattern laid across my floor. And I can tell somethings not right. So a multi-size pattern has each piece, ya know, but each one has several lines and it tells you which line for what size. Now, don't judge, but I'm a size 4. I. AM. SKINNY. I weigh a whopping 106.4 pounds at the MOST. Usually I'm 103-ish. I'm thin and tall. The only sizes I can see are 20, 22, 24, and 26 (The smallest the pattern should go down to an 8 which I believe would be correct sizing since the scale shifted at some point so a 4 should be equal to 8). But I had read on the pattern something about measuring yourself so I figured that those were just the measurement numbers not the sizes.
    As you can tell, I've only done one other pattern on my own. And that was a doll pattern. The rest were with my super-amazing sewing Gram. I can sew! I just haven't done many patterns.
   But then I'm looking at it and I'm like, "I'm not THAT big. I'm TINY." So I liked at the back of the pattern package where it's got all those numbers so you can figure out what size you are. Then a line of text I hadn't read before said something invaluable in bold font. . .

 "Pattern Has Cutting Lines For Four Sizes
 Sizes KK (8-10-12-14) PP (12-14-16-18) ZZ (20-22-24-26)"

  Guess which one I have?
   ZZ.
   The smallest size on my pattern is SIX SIZES above my actual size.
   Sharp Dressed Man starts playing. (Sharp Dressed Man is a song by ZZ Top for those of you who didn't catch the joke)
   So that's my life. How's yours?
   Me & my Madré are going to see if we can edit the pattern to fit me, so that's were pt. II will come into play. I'd been wondering why it said ZZ in the top left corner. . .

I'm leaving comments on so you can say nice, sympathetic things to comfort me :)

Simplicity® It's SO EASY!
(Not)

1 comment:

  1. OH NO!!! OMW. That's terrible!!! I hope you're able to get it figured out.
    Okay but that gif though. X"D

    ReplyDelete